Email me if you have Questions:

Monday, July 6, 2020

SENAGA ISLAND (NAHA, OKINAWA): Oyaji No Maguro for their not so Hawaian Style Poke! Or was it? (Sony RX100)

I've visited relatives in Okinawa occasionally but litte did I know there is an Island with a clear view of planes and fighter jets taking off from Naha Airport. Had to do visit Senagajima!

On the far end of the island there are rows of restaurants extending 4 floors and all overlooking a very wide view of the ocean called Umikaji Terrace.  Due to covid it 19was very empty but so many choices.

I'm a huge fan of Hawaiian Style Poke and unusually there are only a handfull of restaurants serving this dish in Tokyo.  A sign outside said all the tuna used here was fresh (not frozen). 


Ok!  Ahi Poke Rice set for me 1250 yen (1,375 with Tax). 



Only in Okinawa have I seen umi-budo (Sea Grapes) in small fish bowls.


Presentation was definitely spot on.  The seasoned tuna sat on a bed of sushi rice (hints of vinegar) with fresh slices of avocado all around.  And came with a raw egg to mix into the tuna... I kinda skipped that part... it didn't seem very Hawaiian.

This fish was definitely fresh.



BUT after a few bites this was NOT Hawaiian Poke but rather Zukemaguro (sweet soy sauce marinated tuna) that is served at regular sushi shops.  I don't mind having a few pieces of Zuke-Maguro sushi but this was like having 10 pieces of it and the sweetness was very overwheming.  I was about to give up half way thru.  If you want to see Poke done right visit this link of my Hawaii adventure: 

Some examples of Zuke Maguro... this is from Taito Soba in Naha.

... and a pic from my favorite standing sushi spot in Nakano, Tokyo.


If you like Zuke-Maguro or Poke without sweet onions, sesame oil and chopped green onions this might be for you.  But my expectations were high due to living in Hawaii for a few years.  The female chef was friendly and Tuna super fresh so why not?  It just wasn't for me.





Restaurant: Oyaji No Maguro
Address J: 沖縄県豊見城市瀬長174-6 瀬長島ウミカジテラス
Address E: Okinawa, Tomigusuku, Senaga 174-6, Umikaji Terrace.

親父のまぐろ, 魚介料理, 海鮮料理, おやじのまぐろ, 瀬長島ウミカジテラス, 赤嶺駅, Japan, Japanese, Oki, Naha, Foodie, Yelp, Sony Rx100, lunch, dinner, sunset, tokyobelly, hawaii, poke, seafood, sushi, sashimi, maguro, tuna, アヒポキ

No comments:

Post a Comment