Email me if you have Questions:

Monday, June 18, 2018

HONG KONG: SHANG PALACE for a wonderfully balanced Chef"s Signature Tasting Menu... 2 Two Michelin stars!

How I end up at the amazing Kowloon Shangri-La hotel?  In town for a sales meeting and the generous president of that brand took us all out for dinner... lucky.



I've used chopsticks all my life but I had no idea why they provided 2 sets of chopsticks.  Later to realize that its a sharing culture in China so I think the black is used to pick food from the shared plates then the white to consume it.  Neat.



I found this little tea cup fascinating... there are little sections in the cup that let thru light.  Not sure how this is done.  Ceramic and glass?  


We were all treated to the HKD 1,388 course or about $200.  Wow.

Barbecued suckling pig , crispy foie gras glazed with honey sauce served on toast and deep-fried shrimp paste ball coated with shredded pastry.   WOW... I didn't realize I was eating so many things in this tiny dish.



Ordered Baijiu and it was poured out of this cool silver pot with a chicken head for a spout.  Very nice attention to detail. 


First time ever to try birds nest soup... it was so mellow and just yum.

Steamed spotted garoupa 

Probably the highlight of the dinner for me... Stir-Fried Kagoshima Wagyu Beef Cubes with wild mushrooms in homemade XO chili sauce.  So tender and perfectly fatty.


Probably my least favorite the wok fried rice vermicelli with Alaskan crab meat.  Maybe its unique to Hong Kong but the noodles were a bit too al'dente for me.

And then this silver dessert tree arrives... nice thing very few people had a sweet tooth.



At the end of the meal Chef Cheung Long Yin stopped by...  A rate treat for me as I've only experienced this a few times in my life.

A very nice dining experience in a wonder restaurant with an added plus of high ceilings.  Service spot on extremely attentive.


And of course I spot the most beautiful color combination Bentley Mulsanne I have ever seen... those I spotted in Tokyo tend to be solid single colors.


If in Hong Kong and not on a budget this place sure was enjoyable.

Restaurant: Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel Shang Palace
Address E:  64 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Hong Kong
MAP: https://goo.gl/maps/eboz1wccixn

Sumptuous Cantonese dining, Tsim Sha Tsui, Tokyobelly, yelp, foodie, sony rx100, dinner, wine, champagne, canon s120

No comments:

Post a Comment