Email me if you have Questions:

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

SAKURADAI/EKODA: Kitchen Oba-san for some massive OmuRice! Carbs galore~

Its snowed in Tokyo and everything is coming to a halt... streets are iced over... highways are closed... I guess Tokyo doesn't have any salt or snow removal trucks anywhere.

Everytime I pass by Kitchen Oba-san (Old Lady Kitchen) its always packed with women... so headed over with a friend to see what all the fuss was about.

House recommended dish was Omurice Hayashi (Hayashi is a type of stew sauce with beef and mushrooms)... not a big fan of Hayashi but waitress recommended it.


Cabbage lettuce... limp and very boring.  I only had a few nibbles.

Soup was nice... tasted something like what a Japanese mother would make on a snowy day.


And here it is.  A massive portion of eggs hiding a mountain of seasoned rice beneath.

First few bites met with sounds of Oishii... but as the lunch went on this thing was simply endless.  There was simply tooooo much rice hidden below the soft fluffy eggs.  My friend left about 1/4 of hers and I was stuffed.  I'm a huge fan of curry and next time will give the Omu-Curry a try.

Interior was cozy, waitress super smiley and friendly, and the shop was manned by women chefs.  Highly ranked among foodies and seems all the pics on my fav foodie website is of the Hayashi Omurice...  I'll probably be back again but the massive intake of carbs might keep me away for a while.

Shop: Kitchen Obasan
Address J: 東京都練馬区栄町17-3 水入ハイランドマンション B棟 B1F
Address E:  Tokyo, Nerima-ku, Sakaecho 17-3
MAP:

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment